Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mexican Tofu Tacos

All these recipes are starting off with Vegan versions of the things I loved to eat when I wasn't Vegan. Tacos are one of my favorite foods! And I didn't think I was going to enjoy a Vegan Taco more than a meat filled one.....I was wrong!!!

From the cookbook, "The Everyday Vegan," here's the recipe!

1 tbsp dark soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2-1 tsp chipotle hot sauce (or other hot sauce, adjust to taste)
1 1/2 cups firm or extra-firm tofu, mashed until somewhat crumbly
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
couple pinches of sea salt
couple pinches of fresh ground pepper
1 1/4-1 1/2 cups green or red pepper, finely chopped
*I used both red and green because I love bell peppers!
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (optional)
*I didn't use corn in mine
1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup pasta sauce
1/2 cup salsa
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (optional)
10 (or more) taco shells
*I made taco shells from fresh flour tortillas
Optional Garnishes:
avocado, chopped or mashed
jicama, chopped
soy cheese, grated
lettuce, shredded


In a bowl, mix soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce, then add tofu and mix through. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tofu, carrots, celery, chili powder, cumin, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring several times. Add peppers, corn, tomatoes, pasta sauce, salsa, and tomato paste, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring several times. If there is still moisture, cook for another couple of minutes until liquid evaporates. Stir in green onions and optional cilantro/parsley a few minutes before serving to heat through. If not serving right away, reserve green onions and herbs to add before serving. Season with additional sea salt and black pepper if desired. Spoon mixture into taco shells, and top with optional garnishes.

This book also adds nutritional facts per taco:
Calories: 148
Total Fat:6.8g
Saturated Fat: 0.8g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Carbohydrates: 16.6g
Fiber: 2.4g
Protein: 5.3g

Alright, so these tacos were the bomb.com!!! There's tons or ingredients that goes into it, but it makes at least 10 good sized tacos. I even had some still leftover!

My best advise for this recipe: Have everything chopped up and ready to go! It looks like alot, but once you get started, it cooks pretty fast, so you want to be prepared!

I'll post pictures later, but i made taco shells with flour tortillas-just add a tiny bit of oil to a skillet and warm it up. Then drop the tortilla in, flip quickly to get oil on both sides, and cook on each side for about 20 seconds, just until browned. This makes for a good taco shell, in my opinion, because, well, they're bigger than normal shells, which is good for me because then I'm full on one taco. And it also leaves them with a little crunch to it, but not hard like store bought shells.

After blogging this, I want to go home and make them again!! haha

Eat well, Live well!
~Tre

3 comments:

  1. Tacos! Yummy! I'll definitely have to try this one out. I'm still not *completely* sold on Tofu, but I'm willing to give it another shot for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so bad when you have tons of other flavors that you enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly, tofu is still just "tofu" in spanish... not el tofuo!

    ReplyDelete